Procrastination Nation

Things that Robert is thinking about that keep him from accomplishing anything.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Counter by Digits.Com

Tuesday, January 11, 2005
 
Eve of Destruction
Tomorrow marks my debut as a university teacher. I will teach undergraduate research methods course under the most ridiculous course title, "Systematic Inquiry." I am excited to get to do this, but I am kind of anxious about the outcome. For somebody who craves praise and desperately wants to be liked, standing before a group of 20-year-olds in a required course trying to impart the wisdom of the ages seems like a recipe for disaster. I was asked the other day, "What's the worst thing that could happen?" I said, "They might come back on Monday."

I was only half joking. I like the idea of this as a regular performance opportunity. I like the idea of putting together new material twice a week for them. However, I'm not used to the scheduling aspect. I can't be late, as I often am. I can't half-ass my way through this. Or, I could, but I actually take seriously the responsibility of teaching them.

I don't have any grand illusions that they'll become researchers or that they'll like the material. I do hope that they will be able to separate the course and its content from their judgment of me, even if I suppose that's impossible since I determine the content.

Anyway, I guess I'll take a break from obsessing about this for a while and get back to work.


Comments: Post a Comment